Providence Health & Services Registered Nurse - Clinical Educator, Perioperative in Olympia, Washington
Providence is calling a Nurse Educator(Full Time, Day Shift- Perioperative Focus), to Providence St. Peter Hospital in Olympia, WA.
We are seeking an experienced and knowledgeable individual to provide best practice clinical training and development.
Under supervision of the Nurse Director, uses available resources and approaches based on hospital protocols, policies and procedures, provides staff continuing education, orientation, and individual staff development. The Hospital Educator will develop and implement training programs, identify and assess performance needs in collaboration with staff and the nursing leadership council. The Hospital Educator will act as resource to the unit staff and will provide appropriate documentation of education activities. "Unit Staff" is inclusive of support staff in the unit cost center
In this position you will:
•In collaboration with the Nurse Director, sets goals and objectives for self and the department and implements action plans to meet these goals. In collaboration with the Nurse Manager, effectively determines hiring, terminations and disciplinary actions.
• Thorough knowledge of the principles and practices of nursing and patient care services. Demonstrates technical expertise with skills and knowledge to utilize organizational design, health care law, and information technology.
• Ability to understand, be receptive, and respond to change; alter processes and procedures to optimize quality patient care; and communicates this in action and word.
• Ability to identify patterns and differences in patterns, synthesize the parts to the whole, identify gaps, and the need for change or action.
• Demonstrates continuous active learning which contributes to personal and professional growth. Reflects on own performance and looks for ways to improve.
• Demonstrates technical/clinical expertise in the field of nursing and skill in critical thinking analysis, prioritizing, time management, and organization.
• Strong verbal and written communications skills including the ability to discuss difficult and uncomfortable topics.
• Knowledge of clinical pathways and other protocols and guidelines.
•Provide education in compliance with Ministry Goals in Education.
• Attend Education Council Meetings.
• Improve skills as an educator.
• Share skills with other educators.
• Pass on Ministry expectations to nursing units.
• Plan education days around goals prescribed by Ministry.
•Function as a role model and education resource to staff.
• Maintain clinical knowledge base and expertise in the unit by:
◦ Identifying skill and learning needs.
◦ Attending courses to update skills.
◦ Planning time to work in clinical setting.
◦ Researching current methodologies and standards utilized in the nursing unit.
•Plan education programs specific to staff needs:
• Perform an annual and ongoing needs assessment for Unit Staff.
• Schedule specific in-services.
• Provide required documentation for education plans.
• Teach/facilitate educational classes or workshops.
• Provide CEARP for programs.
• Encourage staff to teach in-services on subjects utilizing their expertise.
• Schedule staff meetings with management during the normal in-service times.
• Provide an in-service book that contains daily, legible summaries of in-services for staff to review when returning from absences.
• Implement education programs.
• Encourage and foster participation, involvement and cooperation among staff and management team for education program.
•Adhere to safety and legal requirements established by the Hospital and Governing Agencies (The Joint Commission, DOH, OSHA, ANSII).
• Plan and provide unit specific reviews of safety and legal requirements.
• Monitor those safety/legal issues pertinent to the unit.
• Schedule or provide Ministry mandatory education to all unit staff.
•Evaluate education outcomes for effectiveness and appropriateness for staff. Utilize the following tools to evaluate performance improvement:
• Performance evaluation.
• Self evaluation.
• Peer evaluation.
• Direct observation.
• Unusual occurrence forms.
• Identify skills needing improvement.
• Provide a customized written action plan, when indicated.
• Establish a review date and schedule it with the individual.
•Coaches and facilitates staff in participatory decision making, task and responsibility sharing, and accountability:
• Identifies situations for shared decision making, collaborative projects, and relevant training. Ability to delegate appropriately.
• Creates an environment that demonstrates shared decision making as preferable to individual decision making. Ability to facilitate difficult issues, demonstrate respect and empowerment to staff, and ease a group through a logical and satisfying process. Ability to guide others through ideas and inspirations.
•Develop and implement an orientation program for unit staff:
• Modify orientation materials to keep current with practices in the unit.
• Utilize theories of adult learning to provide instruction during orientation.
• Provide preceptor guidelines for staff participating in orientation programs.
• Coach and support preceptors and orientees in their respective roles.
• Promote a daily / weekly written evaluation between preceptor and orientees.
• Oversee and report ongoing progress to Nurse Manager.
• Collaborate with management team in revisions and up-dates of procedures, protocols, and job descriptions.
• Contribute to development of unit standards, procedures, protocols, and job descriptions for unit staff.
•Provide expertise and skills in the following tasks:
• Participate in committees or meetings pertinent to the functioning of the unit committees.
• Attend and provide input on the following committees/meetings:
◦ Charge Nurse meeting.
◦ House-wide specialty committees as requested.
•Provide care appropriate to the patient population:
• Assess data relative to age of patient (chronological and cognitive).
• Interpret data based on age-specific parameters.
• Plan, modify, and deliver care based on age of patient.
• Identify and plan for special behaviors of the specific age groups.
• Consider age-appropriate resources.
• Develop or contribute to the individual plan of care relating to the developmental age and needs of the patient.
• Adjusts care to the age-related needs of the patient.
Required qualifications for this position include:
Bachelor’s Degree in Nursing (BSN)
4 years Clinical experience in a hospital acute care setting
Master's Degree or equivalent educ/experience
Washington State Licensure as a Registered Nurse.
American Heart Association Basic Life Support (AHA BLS)
Preferred qualifications for this position include:
- Specialty certification, as appropriate.
About the hospital you will serve.
Providence St. Peter Hospital is a 390-bed, not-for-profit regional teaching hospital. Located in Olympia, WA, St. Peter offers comprehensive rehabilitation, medical, surgical and behavioral health services. We have been ranked as one of the top 100 hospitals and as one of 10 premier healthcare employers in the nation and have recently achieved the coveted Magnet®" recognition from the American Nurses Credentialing Center®. Our hospital rests on a 173-acre campus, much of which includes natural forest and preserved wetlands that maintain a healing environment for patients and staff.
We offer a full comprehensive range of benefits - see our website for details
As expressions of God’s healing love, witnessed through the ministry of Jesus, we are steadfast in serving all, especially those who are poor and vulnerable.
Providence Health & Services is a not-for-profit Catholic network of hospitals, care centers, health plans, physicians, clinics, home health care and services guided by a Mission of caring the Sisters of Providence began over 160 years ago. Providence is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. Providence does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, gender, disability, veteran, military status, religion, age, creed, national origin, sexual identity or expression, sexual orientation, marital status, genetic information, or any other basis prohibited by local, state, or federal law.
Job Category: Nursing - Other
Req ID: 257568